IFS is an NGO in active consultative status with the United Nations ECOSOC.
United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is the highest status granted by the United Nations to non-governmental organizations (NGOs), allowing them to participate in the work of the United Nations which means that accredited NGOs – like IFS – can express their views and influence the work of the council.
With this status, IFS members can:
- Provide expert analysis on issues directly from experience in the field
- Serve as an early warning agent
- Help monitor and implement international agreements
- Help raise awareness of relevant issues
- Play a major role in advancing United Nations goals and objectives
- Contribute with essential information at organization events
- Attend and participate in international conferences and events.